Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Umstead Update--3 Weeks to Go

This'll be short and sweet--with 3 weeks to go, training proceeds well.

This weekend I completed my planned 10 miler--obviously a "rest" week. 

Next weekend, with 2 weeks remaining prior to race day, I'll run a 15 miler, which I'll probably lengthen to 18 to use one of my all-time favorite routes on the C&O Canal along the Potomac River, now that the snow has finally melted.

I experimented with my new Petzl headlamp on this pre-dawn run and it kicks butt.  One funny experience--there is a vacant farmhouse along the route I ran, where a group of semi-feral cats live (apparently a neighbor feeds them since they've been there for months). At any rate, they hang out on a porch where they rest on an old sofa.

From a long distance my headlamp picked up the eye reflections of a cat.  Then in rapid succession and perfect order I saw the eye reflections of cats 2 thru 5, in sequence, as they raised their heads to scope me out as I approached.  The illumination of their eyes seemed choreographed and rehearsed, it was so perfectly executed.

No comments:

Post a Comment