Saturday, April 17, 2010

Narrow Minded People

I guess this goes hand-in-hand with my Galileo post from Thursday.  I've about had it with narrow-minded people who want to discriminate against "others" (people not like them, e.g., gays).  Or who insist that their literal interpretation of their holy book is what must govern MY life.  Or men who want to control the body autonomy of women.

Quote below I saved from somewhere but failed to attribute it at the time.  I would love to give credit if I could, as it succinctly makes the point much better than I could:
I've read the new testament. You know what Jesus says about homosexuality in those pages?

Not one word. Not one single solitary word. Read it yourself if you don't believe me.

Jesus had an awful lot to say about helping the poor, the downtrodden, the hungry, the sick, the abandoned, and the weak, though, didn't he?
What's the word I'm reaching for here?  Ah yes...hypocrisy.

Connection to ultrarunning: we endurance runners seem to be more laid back and accepting than the general population.  It'd be interesting to examine that hypothesis empirically and survey the social and political viewpoints of ultrarunners. 

Pretty good PhD thesis for some ultra runner grad student right there!

No comments:

Post a Comment