Saturday, February 19, 2011

"Confession: A Roman Catholic App"...and Ultrarunning

On the heels of yesterday's post involving Lucifer, another of my running buddies forwarded this about a new iPhone application:

Lame tech jokes aside, the makers of "Confession: A Roman Catholic App" say their software is seriously designed to help believers with the sacrament, and to help those who have left the church take a digital step back home.

Worry not, faithful Catholics: The $1.99 application, for the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch, is not intended to replace the confessional. Instead, it's designed to complement the act of confession, offering a "personal examination of conscience" (password-protected, of course) and a step-by-step guide to sin-confessing.

The app provides suggested acts of contrition and the "ability to add sins not listed in standard examination of conscience."

"Our desire is to invite Catholics to engage in their faith through digital technology," said Patrick Leinen, co-founder of Little iApps, developer of the Confession app.

And this one's got the church's seal of approval.

My complaint is that my buddy only suggested that our two Roman Catholic members check it out.  I was outraged at the snub, because I also am a prolific sinner.

The connection to Ultrarunning is that I curse extensively while trail running.  Stumble on a root?  Invectives pour forth.  Trip over a rock?  Expletives fly.  Actually bite the dust?  Then we're talking some serious blasphemy.

And not just for bad stuff.  When I see some delight of nature--a critter, a view, an insight into the natural world--I often say "Holy sh*t!!"  In a thankful, wondrous way, of course.

Of course, the type and volume of the curses are dependent upon whether I am alone or not.  I'm usually a saint when I'm with others, and a real, well, sinner when I'm alone.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment