Monday, April 8, 2013

A Day of Firsts



On Saturday for the first time is probably 7 or 8 years I ran a road race; this one was a local 5 miler, the 2013 Martin's Mill Covered Bridge Challenge.  I only ever run trail races nowadays, and very few of them.  But this race was close and I just felt like it.  Plus it crosses the now-closed-to-traffic bridge at about Mile 4, which is way cool.

When I looked over the app I noticed that for the first time I would fall into the last age group, 61-69.  The last age group.  Now, that's a bit disconcerting.

The final first this day was that I managed to actually win said age group, with a smoking hot time--wait for it--of a mere 45+ minutes!  My shoes practically ignited from the friction. 

Of, course, the depth of the 61-69 field was small; in fact, I don't recall seeing any other old guys around, so maybe I was the age group. 

Nevertheless, I am happy to admit that it was a cool experience to snag the trophy.  The victory was all the sweeter because I was able to share it with my good running buddy Jody, who unexpectedly showed up to run the race with me. So technically I had a pacer--hope they don't strip me of the trophy when this gets out!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment