Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Godspeed, Jason Collins

[image credit Talking Points Memo and Sports Illustrated
 
I'm not much of a "Godspeeder" but it seems appropriate to wish Godspeed to Jason Collins, the first male player ever in a major sport to come out as gay while still playing.
 
And to all the gays in my family, whether in or out of the closet, and in other families everywhere, let's hope the day comes soon when this event will be totally unremarkable.
 
In Jason's own words:
 
I realized I needed to go public when Joe Kennedy, my old roommate at Stanford and now a Massachusetts congressman, told me he had just marched in Boston's 2012 Gay Pride Parade. I'm seldom jealous of others, but hearing what Joe had done filled me with envy. I was proud of him for participating but angry that as a closeted gay man I couldn't even cheer my straight friend on as a spectator. If I'd been questioned, I would have concocted half truths. What a shame to have to lie at a celebration of pride. I want to do the right thing and not hide anymore. I want to march for tolerance, acceptance and understanding. I want to take a stand and say, "Me, too."
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment