Friday, August 30, 2013

My One Motorhead Lapse...and Ultrarunning

While on vacation to North Carolina's Outer Banks--specifically Ocracoke Island, reachable only by ferry boat--I took my 1998 Ford F-150 4x4 pickup truck.

The purpose was to be able to drive daily to the 4WD portions of the National Seashore and set up our chairs, canopy etc.

 
This is the 4WD weekly permit, which cost $50.
 
 
My confession: on our last day, coming in from our final trip to the beach, I gunned it, cut the wheel hard right, and executed a nearly perfect donut in the soft sand.
 
The connection to Ultrarunning?  I never have done anything like that in a vehicle in my entire life.  I am the exact polar opposite of a motorhead and anything to do with that culture.   I count myself more in the treehugger category, and feel vaguely superior that my noteworthy skills in covering distances are done using my own body as opposed to relying on the internal combustion engine.
 
But it was fun.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment