Friday, October 18, 2013

The Shepherdstown Mounting Block

I previously mentioned this limestone mounting block from the streets of Shepherdstown, WV, here (my hat shown on top for scale).  "Mounting block" meaning a step once used to help people mount horses or get into wagons.



In that post I talked about a historic quest of mine, to cross the nearby shallow water ford on the Potomac River, as Confederate General A. P. Hill's division did in 1862 to save the day for the Rebels at the battle of Antietam.

Anyway, the bride and I were in Shepherdstown on Tuesday enjoying a leisurely German meal and Octoberfest beer on the outside patio of the nearby Bavarian Inn (web site here).  We later walked on German Street and browsed through many of the eclectic shops found there, then again encountered the mounting block.

This time I took a shot that also encompassed the adjacent parking meter (talk about old meets new!):

 
The sign made the smart ass in me wonder whether in days before automobiles, a person could only use the block for ponies or small horses.
 
  [image credits Gary]
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment