Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Thinking Thoughts...and Ultrarunning

The other day while I was driving and listening to National Public Radio.  The host was interviewing a guest--I believe his name was Robert McFarlane, or something close to that, whose passion was walking--who offered the following gem of an observation:

There are some thoughts that can only be had while on foot.


I thought, yippee!!  Somebody else gets it!

All of us get those blank stares or disbelief when it becomes known in conversation that we run long distances.  "Don't you get bored?" they say.

I politely answer some (usually longer) version of "No," but in my mind I'm thinking that my mind is so richly fertile while I am running that I can't wait to think those thoughts.


There are some thoughts that can only be had while on foot.


No comments:

Post a Comment