Friday, November 21, 2014

Introverts...and Ultrarunning

I am an introvert.

I prefer the company of myself to that of others.

And I run Ultras, meaning any race beyond the traditional marathon distance of 26.2 miles.  And while I have run with others, including official pacers at the Umstead 100 Mile Endurance Run, I really am OK with running alone.

I am married, to a woman whom for the purposes of this blog I call "the bride," for some 40 years.  She is compatible with me, and I with her.  Actually, I am happy to accommodate my idiosyncrasies with her, and she with me.  We are a very good couple.

So....on with the post after this background.  I postulate that the default personality of Ultrarunners is Introvert.  Sure, there are Ultrarunners who are social animals, but my default position is that Ultrarunners are--by and large--introverts.

My evidence?  I can think of nothing so exciting as running 100 miles alone.  Alone.  In my lifetime I have attempted this a grand total of 3 times, with 3 finishes.  Just me and my thoughts.  Starting before daybreak on a Saturday, seeing the sun come up, running all day, seeing the sun go down, running all night, seeing the sun come up on the second day (Sunday), and finishing sometime that second morning.  Now that's a good time!

I have no empirical data, just my gut feelings after 35 years of running Ultras.

Talk amongst yourselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment