Sunday, December 14, 2014

Cats in Art: Lion Statue in the Vatican (2 of 3)

From my continuing weekly Sunday series of cats in art. I'm using some ideas from the coffee table book, The Cat in Art, by Stefano Zuffi.  

The bride and I recently returned from a couple weeks in Europe, the trip of a lifetime.  We first took a Rhine River cruise downstream from Basel, Switzerland to Amsterdam, Netherlands.  Then we remained 3 more days each in Amsterdam and Rome.  While in Europe, my Cats in Art became a sort of quest for us and the others of our group, so the next few weeks here on Sundays will be focused on our kitty discoveries in the Old World.


Today's subject is the second of three lion sculptures from the Vatican.  One large room of one of their museums was filled with animal sculptures, among them this gem:


Image credit Gary, lion statue in the Vatican

Like last week's kitty, who brought down a sheep, this female lion has nailed a goat. 

Like last week's kitty, this statue is near life sized, what I wrote in my last post holds true again about the desperation, the gauntness, and how the artist was somehow able to magnificently convey a living-on-the-edge moment.  

Like last week's kitty, again I shake my head and marvel at the incredible talent displayed by this unknown sculptor from a couple thousand years ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment