Friday, May 22, 2015

My Idea of Heaven...and Ultrarunning

This post (which I started and then lost the draft right at the end, necessitating recreating it) will be in 4 parts:


  • Foxglove photos from our gardens
  • YouTube video clip of Natalie Merchant and 10,000 Maniacs performing Stockton Gala Days, unplugged
  • Lyrics from Stockton Gala Days
  • Gary's synthesis of how and why all this is related


1.  First, the foxglove photos from our gardens (image credit Gary).  Aren't they just gorgeous?







2.  Second, the YouTube video.  Play it.  Play it!!!

If the embed does not play, here's the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVIRBw_8ZQQ&app=desktop



3.  Lyrics from Stockton Gala Days, credit here.  The foxglove reference is right up front.  Can't you just imagine summer?

"Stockton Gala Days"
That summer fields grew high with foxglove stalks and ivy
Wild apple blossoms everywhere
Emerald green like none I have seen
Apart from dreams that escape me
There was no girl as warm as you

How I've learned to please, to doubt myself in need
You'll never, you'll never know

That summer fields grow high
We made garland crowns in hiding
Pulled stems of flowers from my hair
Blue in the stream like none I have seen
Apart from dreams that escape me
There was no girl as bold as you

How I've learned to please, to doubt myself in need
You'll never, you'll never know
You'll never know

Violet serene like none I have seen
Apart from dreams that escape me
There was no girl as warm as you

How I've learned to please, to doubt myself in need
You'll never, you'll never know
How I've learned to please, to doubt myself in need
You'll never, you'll never know
You'll never know

That summer fields grow high, we had wildflower fever
We had to lay down where they grow (where they grow)

How I've learned to hide, how I've locked inside
You'd be surprised if shown
But you'll never, you'll never know

You'll never, never know

How I've learned to hide, how I've locked inside
You'd be surprised if shown
But you'll never, you'll never know


4.  Gary's synthesis.

I have come to absolutely love the foxglove plants we have in our gardens.  Our variety grows some 4' high and is full of delicate, intricately-hued flowers that are absolutely stunning in their beauty.

Way back when I started this blog some 5 years ago, one of my first posts was of this very tune, saying:

I think that my notion of heaven would be to hear Natalie Merchant and 10,000 Maniacs singing all day long....in this case, Stockton Gala Days.
This one is probably my personal fav. I often play their tunes in my head while I am running.
If you are not a fan of Natalie or 10,000 Maniacs, hearing this song all day long might be more like hell rather than heaven, but different strokes for different folks (and so on).

This tune has it all: references to nature; vivid images of color; a mysterious relationship; the distinctively unique voice of Natalie; and a great piece of musicianship by the band, particularly the violinist and the backup vocalist.  I love Natalie and her unique style and voice, but I could listen to the violin and the other singer all day long as well.

And of course the link to Ultrarunning, as I've already stated: I don't play music when I run except for that which I generate in my own head.  This is one of those tunes.


No comments:

Post a Comment