Thursday, May 14, 2015

Water Garden Work...and Ultrarunning

image credit Gary


Here's what I've been up to for the past 2.5 days. I am whupped but finished!!

I built our water garden about 16 years ago.  I should note that our son at age 16 "helped" me dig it out originally (standard teenager stereotypes apply).

The design consists of a kidney-shaped main pool (approx 20' long x 5' wide x 2' deep, with a deeper 3' splash pool directly under the waterfall).

The water pump in the main pool pipes water up to an upper pool that produces the waterfall that returns the water back to the main pool, per the photo below. Circular flow.

Over time, the weight of the water in the upper pool (approx 3' x 4' x 12" deep) combined with the weight of the limestone stone wall under the waterfall caused the front of the wall to slump some 3"-4".

So for the past couple years I knew I needed to rebuild the whole upper pool and its facing stone wall. This year was the tipping point.  For perspective and scale the actual height of the waterfall is 20".  The rocks are all native limestone that I have harvested and hauled over the years from the local farmers.

Those are koi in the foreground. You're seeing 3 of the 4 koi we have, each several years old and approaching 12" long. In addition we have approx 25 goldfish. Plus every year we buy about 10 tadpoles, some of which manage to reach adulthood (currently we have 3 mature frogs).

Oh, and the link to Ultrarunning?  While this project and a couple others (plus a funeral) were underway, I did no running. In fact, I've not laced up my running shoes for over 2 weeks...but today is the day!


No comments:

Post a Comment